Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-62

What does all of these means for users converting from cygwin 1.5? Do we have to change anything we are doing today? I live in the good-ole US, speak/understanding english. Did my ancesters get on the wrong boat?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Hi folks,

I just uploaded a new Cygwin 1.7 test release, 1.7.0-62.

Apart from bugfixes, this patch contains a change to the
internationalization efforts in Cygwin which cristalized out of a couple
of longish discussions on the cygwin and cygwin-developer lists.

Here's how it's supposed to work in future:

- UTF-8 rules.

- System objects will always be *initially* translated using UTF-8. This
  includes file names, user names, and initial environment variables.
  This is also the rule for the consile window.

- By setting the locale environ variables you can switch the charset
  used in subsequent child processes in the console, as well as to
  translate filenames and other system objects.  The conversions in
  the current process are not affected by this.  Only the setting at
  process startup are binding.

  This is only a stop-gap measure, to allow to re-use old archives
  or scripts.  Those should be converted to UTF-8 ASAP!

- Consequentially, setlocale() calls in a process have only an effect on
  the process code itself, not on the system object conversions within
  Cygwin and in the console window.

- The "C" locale's default charset is UTF-8.

- Additionally there are now language-neutral "C.<charset>" locales
  ("C.CP1252", "C.EUCJP", etc).

- The user's ANSI codepage remain the default charset for
  "language" and "language_TERRITORY" locales.

- Due to potential collision problems, the special filename conversion
  of characters which are not available in the current character set
  is now prepended with a Ctrl-X character, rather than Ctrl-N.

I fixed the documentation in the user's guide accordingly:
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/setup-locale.html
http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-unusual

Other changes: =============

- Stop faking hardlinks on filesystems not supporting them (FAT, FAT32)
  by copying the file.  Instead, the link(2) function returns EPERM,
  just as on Linux.

- Improve multibyte to widechar conversion and vice versa.

Bugfixes: =========

- Fix a typo in the extended attributes handling to support the setxattr
  call not only on Samba.

- Fix a few problems in signal handling.

- More workaround an issue with crashes due to invalid references to
  malloc functions when loading DLLs built against test versions of
  Cygwin between 1.7.0-49 and 1.7.0-57.

- Fix error handling in a couple of file-related functions.

- Avoid a failing recv function when trying to receive data on a socket
  connected via a child process.  This works around a WinSock bug.

- Fix a bug which disallowed to mq_open the smae message queue in different
  processes.

- Declare getpagesize correctly as int per POSIX.

FAQ: ====

- Q: How do I know that I'm running Cygwin 1.7.0-62?

A: The `uname -v' command prints "2009-10-03 14:33"

Have fun, Corinna

*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.