Re: fork failure?

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Nothing. For all I can tell, the fork() fails to *actually* produce a
> child process -- even though the *parent* seems to think one has been
> created, and has a pid for the so-called child. Which doesn't actually
> exist.
>
> Can anybody think of a reason that might cause this behavior? I'm using
> stock cygwin-1.7.0-62...

  Child gets started long enough to communicate with parent but then dies
subsequently, still in early init, but late enough that the parent process
create retries don't kick in.  Don't hang about; get strace or procmon
straight on the case with this, find out definitively if that process actually
does get created or not.  Oh, and maybe try a --enable-debugging build and set
CYGWIN_DEBUG so you can intercept it if it does get started.

    cheers,
      DaveK