Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty-0.5.1-1

Andy Koppe wrote:
2009/10/16 Eric Backus:
Unfortunately, cygwin's terminfo/termcap entries for XTERM say that the
backspace key returns ^H.

xterm does still send ^H, but I agree both xterm and its termcap entry ought to be changed to match the new Cygwin 1.7 default and the Linux world. I should have a look at how to do that.

Well, on Linux consoles, the term type is "linux". Presumably this is one of the reasons they felt they needed a separate term type.

Maybe MinTTY should be emulating something other than xterm, which doesn't have this backspace problem? I don't mean something vastly different, just something else in the ANSI/VT100 zoo.

Have you come across an application that stumbles over this?

Obviously you're responding to some user reported bug, so here's a better question: how does Emacs handle C-h on Linux under xterm? If it works fine, you should try to find out how xterm manages that.

All the
one's I've tried seemed to go by the stty setting rather than the
termcap entry anyway.

This is a problem I still see on Linux today. Programs that accept user input via standard C mechanisms (rather than something intelligent like ncurses) often don't deal with regular backspaces. So, test with things like ftp or ex. Or, write a simple test program that uses gets() or similar. If that handles backspace correctly, that's a high endorsement for doing it the way you are already.