Re: Cannot access Samba share; cannot rebuild cygwin1.dll

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 04:31:04PM +0000, Andy Koppe wrote:
>2009/11/1 Christopher Faylor:
>> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 01:32:19AM -0500, John Berger wrote:
>>>First is the "function not implemented" problem that is plaguing
>>>Samba users with Windows 7. ?? (I even upgraded to Samba 3.4.3 in the
>>>unlikely event that it fixed the problem. ??No dice.) ??This issue was
>>>already covered in another thread and mentioned a DLL that was
>>>available to fix the problem.
>>>[snip]
>>>It would probably be good to make this link public as well. ??With
>>>Windows 7 now out and multiple people experiencing this problem, the
>>>fixed DLL should be made public with a very blatant warning about using it.
>>
>> The link *is* available. ??Go to the Cygwin web page and download Cygwin
>> 1.7 which is talked about in the "Cygwin release 1.7 in BETA testing"
>> section.
>
>I think John was referring to the Samba-related fix talked about here:
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg101874.html

Or, more officially: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-10/threads.html#00439

So, a problem reported in mid-October is "plaguing" Samba users?  The OP
mentioned running 1.5.25 and didn't seem to understand that there was a
newer version available.  But, point taken.  I generated a snapshot
after Corinna checked in her multiple-cygwin-allowed change.  Any other
fixes will be available there too, of course.

Quoting from the never-read-except-for-the-cygcheck-part of
http://cygwin.com/problems.html

  As a rule of thumb, if you find yourself referring to your problem as
  *the* problem with XYZ rather than *a* problem with XYZ then your message
  is suspect.  Using the in this context means that you are assuming that
  your problem is well known.  Unless you can point to an email message
  thread or FAQ entry (either of which is a good idea, btw) please do not
  assume that the readers of your message will be familiar with your
  problem.