Re: Parallel downloading of Cygwin packages

Hi Chris,

Chris Cormie schreef:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 01:19:58PM +0100, Ron de Bruijn wrote:
I use the latest installer, but it only uses one mirror to download
packages from at the same time.  I have the impression that the mirror
I selected only gives about 30KB/s, which makes installing Cygwin slow.
What I would like the installer to do is to download from all mirrors
in parallel different packages and in case one mirror doesn't respond
that it just drops that one and uses another one.  The mirrors together
should be able to saturate my connection.

With respect Ron, why not select a fast mirror if your current mirror is slow? A single fast mirror is always going to be faster than multiple mirrors, so there is little reason for the setup.exe team to support multiple mirrors, or so it seems to me.
A single fast mirror is only going to be faster than multiple mirrors for unrealistic values of "fast". The reason for me not picking a fast mirror is simple; the only way to find out the speed of all the mirrors on this particular network is trying them all, because there is a proxy which only sends the files to my machine when they are completely done downloading. If the list of required packages is documented in a dead simple format (which it probably is) and the list of mirrors is always in some stable location, then writing something which downloads everything in parallel should be less than 50 lines of code. I am not saying that anyone is obliged to do so, I am just saying it isn't a huge problem.

Best regards,
 Ron de Bruijn