Re: rsync appends .exe extension

On Nov  4 21:45, Peter wrote:
> Hi
> I copying files from a linux station to a win32 - cygwin 1.7 station
> using the current openssh server from cygwin
>
> I run:
> rsync -rpogv . -e "ssh" host:/

So you're running rsync from the Linux source side.  Hmm, that's a problem
for debugging.  Can you turn this around and run rsync from the Cygwin
target side?  Does the same problem occur?  I expect it will.

> This works, except that for some binaries ( I could not determine
> any pattern or rule )  ending with .exe .src or .sys  , cygwin  adds
> .exe extensions ( yielding files  like .sys.exe ).

It should definitely not happen with files ending in .exe.  A couple
of questions:

- What kind of binaries are that?  Windows binaries?
  Can you please run the file(1) command on them?

- Can you please run `strace -o rsync.log rsync ...' from the Cygwin
  side with just 2 or 3 selected binaries to copy, and send the strace?

- Would it be possible for you to send these two or three binaries to me
  via private email?  Please don't do it now, it's just a question.
  Especially, please check that neither you nor I will have licensing
  problems afterwards.

> Is this normal behavior ? If yes, can it be disabled ?

No.  It's a heuristic in the rename(2) API, not an overly intelligent,
apparently.  Looks like it needs to be tweaked some more...

Corinna

Red Hat