Re: Accessing GLOBALROOT paths - a potential compromise???

Corinna Vinschen writes:

> In Cygwin 1.7 you can do this for any subdir in your volume shadow copy:
>
>  $ ls -l //?/GLOBALROOT/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1/subdir
>
> It just doesn't work for the root directory of a drive due to internal
> path handling restrictions.  But there's a simple workaround.  Use your
> own tool as below.
>
> The only hack that I have found to get around this is to use an *old*,
> *unsupported* Microsoft routine called 'dosdev' which allows you to
> assign drive letters to devices, including using the GLOBALROOT
> format.
>
>Try this:
>
> $ cat > DefDosDevice.c << EOF

Cool....
Two follow-up questions:
1. Any idea how this differs from dosdev.exe? Is it faster/slower? More/less
robust? More/less portable?
2. Should this short routine be added somewhere in the cygwin distribution?
It seems incredibly useful and simple.