Re: status of gcc4 -ffast-math

Dave Korn wrote:
Hans Horn wrote:

Do you where this gobble stuff ‘ comes from, btw?

GCC is trying to use the appropriate set of internationalized opening and closing single-quote marks. If you "export LC_LANG=C.ASCII", you'll get regular apostrophes.

It's -fno-leading-underscore.
Have to see whether I can live without it!

You can't live *with* it. Seriously, if you're using it in the first place, you are doing something very very wrong indeed (like trying to link to pre-compiled linux binaries) that you should not be doing, because neither it nor anything else will work. You will break every library and just everything. Sorry about that, but the decision to prefix symbols with an underscore or not is part of the win32 ABI, not open to changing according to a user's preferences, and frankly I don't think this option serves any useful purpose except to break things and confuse people by giving them hope that things might work that can in fact never succeed.

    cheers,
      DaveK

Dave,

thx. for the clarification about the apostrophes!

As to -fno-leading-underscore: I had this in my cygwin gcc3.* makefiles now for a couple of years (dunno where it originated).

Compiles & links fine without! It's gone down the crapper for good...
Now I'm one happy gcc4/gfortran guy!

Thanks again for your knowlegdable help!

H.