Re: small exe size increase from 1.7.0-62 to -63

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Obviously 1.5K isn't much of a concern, but is this expected?
>
> It's a result of the new pseudo reloc v2 support.  Probably Chuck can
> explain this better.

I guess I should keep my reader in thread mode...I don't know what I
could add to Corinna's explanation, except to say that all DLLs and EXEs
include the startup code for runtime pseudo-relocs.  It now handles both
v1 and v2 versions -- and the v2 version requires additional code
(there's [some of] your 1.5k). Also, there is now actual error handling,
so that's the WriteFile and various string handling imports. Finally, in
both v1 and v2 mode, we now use the Virtual* functions to temporarily
mark read-only pages writeable in order to update the relocs.

This *should* make it possible -- **later** -- to reverse the current
binutils behavior on cygwin when --enable-auto-import.  Right now, in
that situation, binutils merges .rdata with .data, and marks .text
writable, which is...less than ideal.

--
Chuck