Re: Is there a fast way to get acl's for the whole filesystem (or chunk thereof)

On Nov  6 10:21, aputerguy wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen writes...
> > Cygwin provides the Solaris ACL API, not the POSIX ACL API, and the
> > getfacl/setfacl tools are designed after their Solaris counterparts
> > which don't have the -R option.
>
> Maybe this is a dumb or provocative question, but why does Cygwin provide
> the Solaris API rather than the POSIX one. Particularly, since Linux (and
> Fedora/RehHat in particular) seem to provide the POSIX one (or at least
> provide '-R' along with many other options)?

History.  I knew the Solaris ACL API much earlier than I learned about
the POSIX ACL API, and the fact that POSIX 1003.1e was never really
finalized as a standard, but rather withdrawn while still being a draft
back in 1999 didn't give me any confidence that it's worth to implement.
Above all, the Solaris API is much simpler than the POSIX draft.

Having said that, I have no problems if somebody implements the POSIX
API in Cygwin additionally to the Solaris API, but personally I don't
see any advantage.  ACL-aware applications most often support both APIs
on the source level.

Corinna

Red Hat