Re: Finding junction points in cygwin

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM, aputerguy <> wrote:

> More generally, could someone point me to a single source that can accurately
> compare and contrast the following notions of "links" in cygwin/windoze:
>
> 1. Hard links (ln)
> 2. Soft links (ln -s)
> ? ?- Old style
> ? ?- New style
> 3. Windows shortcuts
> 4. Junctions created by junction.exe
> 5. Reparse points created by linkd.exe
> 6. Other types of reparse points?
> 5. Mount points created by cygwin mount
> 6. Mount points created by mountvol
> 7. Letter drives created by dosdev
> 8. Letter drives created using Administrative Tools computer management
> 9. Other types of mounting?
>
> I know that some of the above only work on files, some only on directories,
> some only on shares, etc.
> but there is a lot of overlap and a nice table would be very helpful.
>
> Personally, I'm sure I don't understand all the differences, subtleties,
> limitations, and when to use which one. I'm also left with the feeling that
> Microsoft just keeps throwing new flavors of links and mounts rather than
> going with a consistent approach but maybe I'm just biased to *nix.

There is also the 'subst' command that lets you create a directory and
point it to a drive.

C:\>subst /?
Associates a path with a drive letter.

SUBST [drive1: [drive2:]path]
SUBST drive1: /D

  drive1:        Specifies a virtual drive to which you want to assign a path.
  [drive2:]path  Specifies a physical drive and path you want to assign to
                 a virtual drive.
  /D             Deletes a substituted (virtual) drive.

Type SUBST with no parameters to display a list of current virtual drives.