Possible permissions problem

I wanted to go through the tutorial for the Alignment API (http://alignapi.gforge.inria.fr/tutorial/tutorial1/index.html), so I downloaded alignapi-3.6.zip (http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=117) and unpacked it using a combination of WinRAR and Directory Opus. I am logged in as a domain user that has administrative access to the machine.

Anyway, I had problems following the alignapi tutorial, and I suspect it may be due to file permissions. The first step in the tutorial is to load two owl ontologies, but the program crashed and it seemed to be related to IO errors. Therefore, I started investigating the files:

elilja@Less-PC /cygdrive/d/downloads/align-3.6/html/tutorial
$ ls -l
total 304
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 4251 2009-05-27 15:56 MyApp.java
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 2784 2009-05-27 15:56 Skeleton.java
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 1613 2009-05-27 15:56 data.xml
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 20840 2009-05-27 15:56 edu.mit.visus.bibtex.html
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 33278 2009-05-27 15:56 edu.mit.visus.bibtex.owl
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 2588 2009-05-27 15:56 file_properties.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 elilja Domain Users 0 2009-11-10 10:06 foo.txt
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 31375 2009-05-27 15:56 index.html
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 25541 2009-05-27 15:56 myOnto.html
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 48095 2009-05-27 15:56 myOnto.owl
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 60914 2009-05-27 15:56 myOnto2.owl
d---------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 4096 2009-05-27 15:56 old-results
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 18100 2009-05-27 15:56 refalign.rdf
drwxr-xr-x 1 elilja Domain Users 0 2009-11-10 09:36 results
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 5766 2009-05-27 15:56 script.bat
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 5711 2009-05-27 15:56 script.sh
d---------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 4096 2009-05-27 15:56 server
----------+ 1 elilja Domain Users 8687 2009-05-27 15:56 server.html

elilja@Less-PC /cygdrive/d/downloads/align-3.6/html/tutorial
$ chmod 755 myOnto.owl
chmod: changing permissions of `myOnto.owl': Permission denied

elilja@Less-PC /cygdrive/d/downloads/align-3.6/html/tutorial
$ chown elilja myOnto.owl
chown: changing ownership of `myOnto.owl': Permission denied

elilja@Less-PC /cygdrive/d/downloads/align-3.6/html/tutorial
$ getfacl myOnto.owl
# file: myOnto.owl
# owner: elilja
# group: Domain Users
user::---
group::---
group:root:rwx
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:---

elilja@Less-PC /cygdrive/d/downloads/align-3.6/html/tutorial
$ getfacl foo.txt
# file: foo.txt
# owner: elilja
# group: Domain Users
user::rw-
group::r--
mask:rwx
other:r--

old-results is an existing directory that I renamed. results is a directory I created and foo.txt is a file I created (using cygwin for these operations) for comparison. Why are the permissions so restrictive and how do I change them (I'm hoping the tutorial will run if I do)?

- EL