Re: Differences between 'ls' permissions *nix vs cygwin

Corinna Vinschen-2 writes:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22bypass%20traverse%20checking%22

I was <sigh> unaware of that "feature"
However, after turning it off, it still seems that cygwin 'ls' gives a
different response than *nix 'ls' to a file in the subtree of a directory
that is "non-traversable."

For example, if the current user doesn't have excutable (x) access to
'dir1', then in Linux:
$ls -nl dir1/<any string>
ls: cannot access dir1<any string>: Permission denied

While in Cygwin, for any value of <any string> whether the file/directory
exists or not, I seem to get the following rather than an error message.
-rw-r--r-- 1 1006 513 0 Nov 30 2006 dir/<any string>
where 1006:513 = UID:GID

So, changing Bypass Traverse Checking has indeed now prevented me from
getting any "meaningful" file info but...
Why isn't cygwin ls returning an error message here?
Why isn't is consistent with *nix?
(note I started a new bash process, but I haven't rebooted after change
Bypass Traverse Checking)