Re: console enhancements: mouse events

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
- Pressing something like Alt-ö on a German keyboard leaves an
illegal UTF-8 sequence (the second byte of the respective
sequence) in input, apparently because Alt-0xC3 is handled
somehow. Don't know, though, whether this is a cygwin
console issue or maybe a readline issue.
Alt is converted to a leading ESC. I don't know how to fix that for
non-ASCII chars, yet.
For non-ASCII it works fine, thanks to Andy for clarifying; I could

Erm... sorry, but do we really talk about the same? If you press
Alt-ö, the console generates the sequence ESC 0xc3 0xb6. That's not
desired so I'm contemplating the idea to skip the keypress if the
resulting multibyte char is > 1 byte. This restricts ESC-somekey
either to explicit function key sequences (ESC-[-foo, etc), or
to just two byte sequences like ESC-A, ESC-0, ESC-;, etc.
I had not expected you to take action on this issue so soon:
- Don't create ESC sequences for ALT-key keypresses if key translates
into a multibyte sequence. This avoids stray bytes in input when
pressing for instance ALT-ö (Umlaut-o) under UTF-8.
- especially given:
... And, whatever
super-duper change we make to this essential console code in future,
let's wait until after 1.7.1, please.
Actually, I think this is the wrong change. I'm sorry I came up with this confusion because I didn't test sufficiently, but as I said in my second mail
For non-ASCII it works fine,
and contemplating again
If you press Alt-ö, the console generates the sequence ESC 0xc3 0xb6.
I think this is absolutely the right thing to generate - after all, what else should be expected here?
The "stray bytes" are created in bash/readline, the previous behavior of cygwin console in this case was perfect, I'd suggest to revert, please.

Thomas