Re: Problem [1.7]: gzip missing in brand new install

1 Thank you for trying the Thunderbird attachment options. I use PortableApps portable version. Will take a closer look at Options.
2 Since observing the missing gzip (sed also missing) I installed [1.7] from the ground up _yet_again_, this time remembering to turn off McAfee, and the result appears robust. Annoyingly I had also sat through* a brand new installation of [1.5] which has no obvious defects but who knows? Better do that again with McAfee off. * Not literally of course. I re-decorated a room and built a boat.
3 So Norton lets nasties through; McAfee cripples normal practice; what else is there? PortableApps also do Clamav, which I guess I could try, though on the occasions that I have done so in the past it picks up a virus (trojan) in its own provision, presumably some sort of test procedure, but disconcerting. Given the ease with which these can be picked up when not wanted, does anybody know of a site where a deliberate virus, trojan, worm, spy, ... may be downloaded as a test of On-Access scanning?
Fergus