subinacl not consistent with getfacl under ssh login (USERNAME=SYSTEM)

When I log in via ssh (and have the infamous USERNAME=SYSTEM), subinacl
assigns *all* file and directory ownership to "nt authority\system"
getfacl however still gets the ownership right.

I assume this has something to do with the fact that ssh comes in as
USERNAME=SYSTEM but it is a pita that subinacl doesn't work properly under
ssh -- specifically, I can't use subinacl remotely via ssh to administer a
machine.

Any thoughts on why this is so and whether it can be fixed?