Re: Seems like treatment of NTFS ADS (foo:bar) changed between 1.5 and 1.7 but not mentioned in What's Changed

2009/11/16 Thomas Wolff:

>>> I've only learned about this ADS stuff recently but yes, I think,
>>> simply using the "a:b" syntax (which is also used by Windows tools)
>>> and handling them as a virtual file is a quite obvious POSIX way to
>>> do it.
>>> So if it worked in 1.5, whether accidental or not, I think it should
>>> continue to work in 1.7.
>>>

>> It's a deliberate change. ÂIt's more important to support as much POSIXy
>> filenames as possible than to access streams. ÂI agree with Andy. ÂUse
>> Windows tools to use them.
>>

> But with it being supported, "foo:bar" *is* a POSIX filename and can quite
> transparently be handled like a file

If you create a file called "foo:bar" in Cygwin 1.5, a directory
listing will actually show a file called "foo" of size 0. You have to
already know that "foo:bar" exists to access it, and there's no way in
Cygwin to find those files.

Furthermore, if you delete the file "foo", you'll also delete
"foo:bar" and any other ADSs of "foo". Again, something that POSIX
programs don't expect.

> Moreover, this transparent mapping would also solve the copy/backup problem
> discussed in the other thread (was it "rsync"?) and actually all problems at
> once, like including these things in zip archives etc.

Zip would never know about the ADSs, because they don't show up in
directory listings. Same in cmd.exe, btw.

I guess they could be included in Cygwin directory listings, but
- It would be a chunky piece of work to implement it.
- It would slow down directory operations.
- Non-POSIX behaviours would remain: creating "foo:bar" would create
an empty "foo" and deleting "foo" would also delete "foo:bar" and any
other ADSs.

I think they'd need a special API if they were to be supported. Do
they fit into the xattr stuff?

Andy