Re: 'ls' not finding owner/group of some files created by other user

On Nov 16 10:33, aputerguy wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > In that case, the problem probably occurs because userB has no
> > permissions to read the file permissions.  Cygwin's chmod creates a
> > POSIX compatible ACL, which adds READ_CONTROL permissions for everyone.
>
> That seems to be the case here and would seem to explain it - thanks!
> BTW, it seems that chmod also adds FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES though READ_CONTROL
> is all that was needed to solve my problem.
>
> Also, for the record, it seems that 'cp -a' does similar except it also
> *deletes* the SYSTEM ACL attributes of DELETE, WRITE_DAC and WRITE_OWNER.
> It's not intuitively obvious to me why 'cp -a' would degrade permissions...
>
> That being said is there (or should there) be a flag to 'cp' that will
> strictly preserve 'all' ACL attributes in a similar way to how Linux has the
> -Z flag to preserve SELinux context?

It's not cp but the Cygwin DLL which looks for the permissions.  The
permission bits are strictly viewed from a POSIX point of view and all
rwx bits are translated to a specific set of ACE permission bits and
vice versa.  If you need control over every single permission bit in a
Windows ACL, use a Windows tool.

Corinna

Red Hat