Re: Seems like treatment of NTFS ADS (foo:bar) changed between 1.5 and 1.7 but not mentioned in What's Changed

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 03:55:43PM +0100, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Thomas Wolff wrote:
Anyway, maybe some syntax could be found that would not be too harmful to become "reserved" for this purpose...
<end:of:rationale:for:weird:feature>

Sorry but I agree with Corinna. On linux/UNIX you can create a file
with a colon in it. We can now do this in Cygwin 1.7 and that's a good
thing. Complicating the path handling to deal specially with colons in
a filename doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Sorry that I take this up once more (after promising <end:of>), but I had this additional idea after seeing your point about being strictly consistent with the POSIX pathname namespace:

So what about using "/" as a delimiter? If "foo" is a file, "foo/bar" is not a legal pathname in POSIX, so it could be used to access the "bar" fork of "foo" without causing real harm. There might be stronger objection to implicitly creating a fork with this syntax than to just accessing it, which could be resolved with either a $CYGWIN-configurable option or a mkfork command.

Thomas