Text editing over ssh

Hey all,

I've had constant problems with editing over ssh (usually just end up
scp-ing the file over to my machine locally to change files).
Using any text editor, if i pretend goto line 10 to edit that line and
use my keyboard arrows to scroll over to word i want to edit, it
'replaces' the text as i scroll showing what is really on that line
(which is line 9). Editing/deleting have some side effects as well as
a result of lines being off by one.
Not really sure what I can do.
The TERM env variable was set by another previous developer for this
user in .bashrc (on the ssh server).
Should i set this var to cygwin to alleviate problems, since my remote
terminal will be cygwin... (but i dont want to mess up other people
using same user but different terminals to ssh in and edit things).

Thanks for any guidance!,
Ari