Re: Cygwin 1.7 setup on Win7 fails with "Unable to extract /etc/ -- the file is in use."

On 11/18/2009 11:32 PM, Alexander Quinn wrote:
When I try to install the latest Cygwin 1.7.0-64 beta on Windows 7 (x86
RTM Enterprise build 7600), it downloads correctly, but then I get the
error "Unable to extract /etc/ -- the file is in use."   Previously, I
was using Cygwin 1.5.25-14 on this machine.  That installed perfectly the
first time and worked normally.

Before installing the 1.7 beta, I did the following: - Removed my old
sshd service.  (cygrunsrv --remove sshd) - Renamed the old Cygwin
directory to hide it. - Restarted my machine. - Verified sshd service
does not appear in Services. - Verified no Cygwin-related processes in
task manager or Process Explorer.

At this "In-use files detected" error message box, if I click Retry, it
keeps coming up.  If I click Continue, the progress window stays open and
the progress bar flashes, but it makes no progress.  In setup.log, the
last error before it ends says, "io_stream_cygfile:
fopen(/etc/setup/setup.rc) failed 22 Invalid argument".  I'll paste the
whole file at the bottom of this message.

After setup failed using the defaults, I tried a few ideas I found
searching this list and the web:
- Installed for this user only (as well as Administrator install).
- Ran setup as Administrator (as well as running normally).
- Checked Process Explorer for anything that might be
using a Cygwin DLL.  Nothing.
- Installed to different target paths.  I
tried c:\c\, c:\p\c\ and c:\Cygwin\. - Created a few of the directories
ahead of time (i.e. c:\c\etc\, c:\c\home\, and so on). - Closed any other
program that can't be closed.

- Downloaded and then installed from Local Directory (as well as
installing from Internet).

Questions:
- Is there any other information I can provide that would help
somebody find the problem?
- Is there anything else I should have done to completely uninstall 1.5?

Beyond this - <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all>, no.

- Since it installed easily with 1.5 but it
doesn't work at all with 1.7, could this be new problem with the 1.7
installer?

Could be but it's not a common one. I just installed 1.7 last night (on XP) without
this problem and this is the first report to the list of it.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone is willing to provide.

Of the top of my head, the only things I can think of trying are:

1. Use Process Explorer (or handle.exe from the same guys) to see what
else has anything along the line of '/etc/setup/setup.rc' open, both before
the install and at the time of the problem.

  2. Try making '/etc/setup' before the install.  Make sure you have access to
     this (i.e. verify you can make 'setup.rc').

Holliston, MA 01746