[OT] Re: Use of Dual Core causes random failures building OpenJDK

mike marchywka wrote:

> On XP, go to control panel->System->Advanced ->Envireonment Variables.
> These do no appear to be process specific. These are what I was talking
> about where I saw garbage,

  Since registry accesses are atomic and serialized, whatever you saw there
must reflect exactly the gibberish that some process wrote into the registry,
owing to a bug in that process (or maybe in some hook process, or faulty ram
or other hardware in your PC); it was not the outcome of two threads trying to
write to the registry at the same time.

  And, as indeed you hypothesize, none of this is to do with Cygwin, so we
should TITTTL if there's anything else you want to ask about the windows
environment block and how it is implemented and handled in a thread-safe and
process-safe fashion; I don't mind going into further detail if you're
curious, but I want to leave the main list out of it now.

    cheers,
      DaveK