Re: [OT] Re: Use of Dual Core causes random failures building OpenJDK

On 11/21/09, Christopher Faylor
<cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 06:54:37PM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>>mike marchywka wrote:
>>>On XP, go to control panel->System->Advanced ->Envireonment Variables.
>>>These do no appear to be process specific.  These are what I was
>>>talking about where I saw garbage,
>>
>>Since registry accesses are atomic and serialized, whatever you saw
>>there must reflect exactly the gibberish that some process wrote into
>>the registry, owing to a bug in that process (or maybe in some hook
>>process, or faulty ram or other hardware in your PC); it was not the
>>outcome of two threads trying to write to the registry at the same
>>time.
>>
>>And, as indeed you hypothesize, none of this is to do with Cygwin, so
>>we should TITTTL if there's anything else you want to ask about the
>>windows environment block and how it is implemented and handled in a
>>thread-safe and process-safe fashion; I don't mind going into further
>>detail if you're curious, but I want to leave the main list out of it
>>now.
>
> Yes, please take it to the talk list.
Eh, this was supposed to be one non-controversial if tangential observation
that did happen to point to a likely issue relevant to OP and who
knows who starts out by reading a windoze env variable. I don't really
want to discuss this further, I didn't think it would get this
involved, you are probably right but FWIW.  I'd imagine they are
supposed to be safe and a problem like this would have probably shown
up by now but  I'm actually not all that sure that concurrent registry
updates would be tested all that much-
when is the last time you openned two registry editors while 5
installs were running? ( rhetorical question LOL ).

> In the meantime, I'm going to try teaching my dog to play the piano.

> cgf
>
> --

marchywka@gmail.com
Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka@hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note: hotmail is censoring incoming mail using random criteria beyond
my control and often hangs my browser
but all my subscriptions are here..., try also marchywka@yahoo.com