Re: Cannot run SSH

OK, try this:
chown root:root /var/empty

Although, mine is owned by SYSTEM, so if that doesn't work, try:

chown SYSTEM:root /var/empty

I tried both and got errors. it complained that there was no such user or group named root. So i tried "chown SYSTEM /var/empty" and it did not work. The only time it(/usr/sbin/sshd) does not complain about the folder rights is when I just delete the "empty" folder and create "mkdir /var/empty" , straight with my admin account in the command line. The sshd starts ok by firing /usr/bin/sshd. It seems to be listed in the task list but none of the service running commands work, neither trying to run it from the Windows service panel. I can login as "ssh localhost", but none of the other defined users or networked computers can connect to it. The passwd file lists these users properly as far as I can tell.

here I am trying to login to ssh the first time(test purpose). Normally it is supposed to create the home folder and give me a ncie cozzy welcome.

"$ ssh ubun@localhost
ubun@localhost's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
ubun@localhost's password:
Could not chdir to home directory /home/ubun: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: Permission denied
Connection to localhost closed.
"

thanks