Re: Cannot run SSH

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:48:39 -0600  baykusderki wrote:
> OK, try this:
> > chown root:root /var/empty
> >
> > Although, mine is owned by SYSTEM, so if that doesn't work, try:
> >
> > chown SYSTEM:root /var/empty
> >

> I tried both and got errors. it complained that there was no such
> user or group named root. So i tried "chown SYSTEM /var/empty" and it
> did not work.
> The passwd file lists these users properly as far as I can tell.

Is SYSTEM in /etc/passwd?  If not, I think that's a problem.  Even if
it's there, maybe it's wrong.  I would try the mkpasswd command to
recreate your passwd file (and might as well mkgroup to recreate
the /etc/group file).  They both write to stdout so you have to
redirect them:

mkpasswd > /etc/passwd