RE: Cygwin bash regexp matching doesn't treat "\b" properly

aputerguy sent the following at Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:10 PM

> Seriously, there are times to use Perl and times not to... But launching
> perl seems a bit of overkill when I just have to do a simple match in a
>.bashrc script or when I need a small shell script wrapper.

Looking at the man page for everything in /bin that matches the pattern
*.exe find the following that may be of interest.  Testing to see if these
actually work is left as an exercise for the OP.  :-)

pcregrep - a grep with Perl-compatible regular expressions.

grep, egrep, fgrep - print lines matching a pattern
 -w, --word-regexp
        Select only those lines containing matches that form whole
        words.  The test is that the matching substring must either be
        at the beginning of the line, or preceded by a non-word
        constituent character.  Similarly, it must be either at the end
        of the line or followed by a non-word constituent character.
        Word-constituent characters are letters, digits, and the
        underscore.