Re: tar hangs on unpacking calcoo_1.3.16.orig.tar

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 04:39:39PM -0500, Eliot Moss wrote:
> I wonder if some process has created the file in
> question and still has it open. Then a call to
> create, and a call to unlink, will both fail.

But the call to open is failing (the fd returned is -1),
which is why the unlink() is executed in the first place,
and it does *not* fail.

My vote for Stephan Mueller's suggestion that the 'aux' in the
name is causing the problem - but this still doesn't explaing why
the unlink() claims to succeed (returning 0); the loop within tar
should be changed to deal with this situation in any case.
Not sure how.

Thanks for your suggestions.

(I'm running the same script on Linux now, if only
 because it's running more than 100 times as fast there.
 But that has nothing to do with tar bugs.)

--
Reinier Post
TU Eindhoven