Re: Defunct processes with 1.5.25-15; seemingly reproducible

Dave Steenburgh wrote:
> And what is the significance of the duplicated lines that ps showed
> me? ?Each of three processes did indeed have a lock on an output file
> from the most recent session, and yet all the information that ps
> showed was identical to a previous session.

I started a new session just minutes ago.  The process that parses my
data and pipes commands to gnuplot happened to have a PID of 5240.  ps
indicated that PID 5240 was defunct, and all the other information
appears the same (though the timestamp is now a date).  Although the
process was not actually defunct, I killed that session and started a
new one.  The process with the same name of course has a new PID, but
it is /not/ listed as defunct.  Whatever is the cause of the first
defunct processes, it seems [to me] that the more recent ones have a
different cause.