Re: cyg1.7 - DOS character remapping: change request.

On Nov 28 05:19, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Linda Walsh on 11/28/2009 3:24 AM:

> > Any other standards group I know of is going UTF-8.  All of the
> > linux distributions I know are going UTF-8.  I'd like to see Cygwin
> > go that way too.

I don't understand this one.  What on earth are you think we're doing?
Do you really understand the sense of the mapping?

> >   But barring any other changes, I'd really, (like pretty please!)
> > like to see them mapped to their, reserved-visual, but semantically
> > impotent equivalents.
>
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC
>
> Rather than complaining, write a patch to prove your point.  Patches speak
> much louder than rants on open source projects.  But I won't be the one
> writing the patch.

But that mapping doesn't make sense.  Instead of mapping valid, but
forbidden characters into a range which doesn't contain valid
characters, the valid characters are then mapped onto other valid
characters.  How are you going to ever map them back?  When is a
FULLWIDTH QUOTATION MARK actually a QUOTATION MARK and not really a
FULLWIDTH QUOTATION MARK?  You're covering perfectly valid characters
and make them unusable.  Besides, we have not only to map the few
characters you're talking about, the U+f0XX range is also used to
map invalid UTF-8 chars.

Corinna

Red Hat