Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67

On Nov 29 18:22, Robert Pendell wrote:
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
Ken Brown wrote:
I just confirmed this on my XP SP3 system. I initially got similar
behavior to what Angelo and Robert reported, but it doesn't happen if I
export TMPDIR=/tmp before running patch.
Indeed!

On my system TMPDIR isn't defined by default; instead TMP and TEMP point to
$USERPROFILE/Temp. Setting TMP or TMPDIR to /tmp, works. Instead pointing
TEMP to /tmp does not, i.e. 'patch' creates foo.txt with '+'.

That explains it all. The original problem was that inheritable permissions from the parent dirs were not inherited when creating files in Cygwin. That was a long-standing problem in Cygwin since it disabled POSIX ACL default permissions to be inherited correctly. Now that works correct. So Angelo's observation is actually good news, rather than yet another bug.

Nevertheless, it's somewhat startling to see permissions change as a side effect of patching a file. One simple way to prevent this is to unset TMP and TEMP in /etc/profile. Is there any downside to doing this? A search of the mailing list archives shows that the default /etc/profile used to do this. I didn't dig long enough to find out why it changed.

Ken