Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67

On 11/30/2009 11:23 AM, Robert Pendell wrote:
Ken Brown wrote:
Nevertheless, it's somewhat startling to see permissions change as a side
effect of patching a file. One simple way to prevent this is to unset TMP
and TEMP in /etc/profile. Is there any downside to doing this? A search of
the mailing list archives shows that the default /etc/profile used to do
this. I didn't dig long enough to find out why it changed.

I guess a side question here is if TMP does not exist then should it
be defaulting to the system wide TEMP variable, the one defined in
.bashrc for the user or should it even be created at all?  I posted an
strace and it shows TEMP set to /tmp but patch still uses TMP instead
and since TMP doesn't exist it looks like cygwin sets TMP to the
system wide one by default.

Are you sure TMP doesn't exist? On my system TMP is set in the Windows environment. Cygwin just takes that variable and converts the filename to Unix format. So unless you unset TMP somewhere in your startup files, TMP will exist (at least in XP; I don't have experience with other systems).

P.S. - On linux (when I tested) TEMP, TMP, and TMPDIR were not set and
patch defaulted to /tmp.

That's precisely why I suggested unsetting TEMP and TMP in /etc/profile. Then things should work as in linux.

Ken