Re: General questions about upgrading to 1.7

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Dec 8 13:45, d.sastre.medina@gmail.com wrote:
I'm plannig to migrate my production env (i.e. my XPSP3 box at work
8-D), from 1.5.25 to 1.7 as soon as there is an official release,

There's no reason not to use the current beta.

True. Many of us have been using it for serious work for months now. I migrated in February or so, and every problem I've had is now months in the past.

If you want to be on the safe side, install Cygwin 1.7 into another
directory, for instance C:\cygwin-1.7.

...and be sure to tell it the new directory name on the *first* run of setup-1.7.exe, yea even on the first visit to that screen. There's a point beyond that screen and before you exit setup.exe where you all but irrevocably convert an existing 1.5 install to a 1.7 one. You don't even have to actually start the install process; just going deep enough into the wizard with it believing you want to upgrade in place is enough.

Personally, I'd just back that directory *and* all the Cygwin registry sub-trees up and go ahead with the upgrade-in-place. Parallel Cygwin installs work, but there are annoyances.

Given your evident conservatism (XP SP3), I hope you have a concrete reason for upgrading Cygwin. If not, there's apparently a philosophical mismatch somewhere.