RE: /var/lib/alternatives/gcc missing for alternatives 1.3.30c

Thanks folks.  I did have a /etc/postinstll/gcc.sh.done but it was
installing v3.0
so I modified to v4.0 and run it which solved the problem.  Also apologies
for not understanding how alternatives works -- all fixed now.

Regards, Neil

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 12/30/2009 08:07 AM, Neil.Mowbray@calgacus wrote:
>> Can someone please provide a valid /var/lib/alternatives/gcc file or link
>>  me to either it's syntax or the programs source?
>
> This is created when alternatives runs for gcc.  If you're missing it, it
> suggests to me that alternatives wasn't run.  Check
> '/etc/postinstall/gcc.sh*" and "/etc/postinstall/gcc-g++.sh*".  If there
is
> no "done" suffix, these didn't run, which is why you don't have the
> alternatives files you're looking for. If there is a "done" suffix, these
> did run but apparently didn't do so successfully.  Try running them again
> by hand and see what errors, if any, pop up.

  Also, apologies: there was a packaging hiccup in the latest version, and
the
execute permissions got lost.  If you try to just run
set-gcc-default-[34].sh
at the shell, you'll get a "Permission denied" error; you can either chmod
a+x
them, or use the ". <name>" (aka bash "source" builtin) syntax to invoke
them.

    cheers,
      DaveK