Re: Appropriate expectation on the degree of cygwin and MS interoperability

Neil.Mowbray@calgacus.com wrote:

For the most part the cygwin tools interoperate with MS artifacts but
it does break down, especially, with 64bit artifacts.  For example, nm
can work with 32bit object files created by MS cl.exe but it cannot
work with 64bit MS object files (unrecognised file format).

The question is: how far should I expect the interoperability to go?
For example, is the fact that nm cannot handle 64bit MS object files
a (1) defeat in cygwin/nm or (2) I should be grateful that it works
with 32bit files and otherwise lower my expectation?

cygwin binutils doesn't set or understand /machine tags, which are required for 64-bit targets.
The mingw32-64 project is a partial solution.
I, too, would be grateful for a satisfactory solution which persuades cygwin make to use a 64-bit alternative to ar when needed.