Re: old install instructions? -mnomingw being removed?

JonY <jon_y <at> users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On 1/2/2010 07:52, Ken Tilton wrote:
> > Sorry, I am a complete noob to all this make/install/gcc stuff, I am just
trying
> > to make a fresh build of a DLL I have used for years to see if it resolves a
> > problem.
> >
> > I installed cygwin 1.7.1 today on a windows 7 laptop.
> >
> > The directions for my library are great:
> >
> > "VER=8.4.12
> > SRCDIR=`pwd`
> >
> > cd $SRCDIR/tcl$VER/win
> > env 'CC=gcc -mno-cygwin' ./configure --enable-threads
> > make libtclstub84.a
> >
> > cd $SRCDIR/tk$VER/win
> > env 'CC=gcc -mno-cygwin' ./configure --enable-threads
> > make libtkstub84.a
> >
> > cd $SRCDIR/Togl
> > env 'CC=gcc -mno-cygwin' ./configure --with-tcl=../tcl$VER/win --with-
> > tk=../tk$VER/win
> >
> > make"
> >
> > That's from doc for the lib which is Togl, an OpenGL add-on widget to
Tcl/Tk.
> > Unfortunately the mailing list does not seem active, because:
> >
> > The first env command responds "C compiler cannot create executables" and
refers
> > me to the config.log. That has a few lines showing the -mno-cygwin flag has
been
> > removed and telling me to use a mingw-targeted cross-compiler.
> >
> > Not sure if those are warnings or that is why later what looks to be a
hello-
> > world-like little C compile reports failure leading next to the "cannot
create
> > exes" message.
> >
> > Googling did turn up a long-ago discussion mentioning deprecating no-mingw
(and
> > to my relief that this is not something poor know-nothings like me should
> > encounter) but the obvious solution ("a mingw-targeted cross-compiler") did
not
> > work out two ways:
> >
> > 1. Just googling that did not cause anything to jump out at me.
> > 2. I am wondering if this is a cross-compiler situaton, since I am on
Windows
> > trying to build a windows DLL.
> >
> > Any clues greatly appreciated!
> >
> > kt
> >

> Hi,
>
> The -mno-cygwin option has been removed from gcc4.
>
> If you need it, install the gcc-mingw package via the Cygwin setup, and
> use CC="gcc-3 -mno-cygwin" instead. It is an older version of GCC, but
> it will get you somewhere.

Brilliant. Thx.

> Yes, it is a cross-compile situation. MinGW and Cygwin are considered
> different hosts even if both are running on Windows. Cygwin programs
> use cygwin1.dll while MinGW programs use msvcrt.dll.

Ugh, and that is my problem (even now that you have helped me build a fresh
DLL): a runtime error looking for _ftol2 in msvcrt.dll, but only on Windows XP
(not Vista or 7). The crazy thing is that even the original DLL ran on XP fine
for years. I did have to rebuild some Graphicsmagick DLLs and did so on Windows
7, maybe they... ah, I'll try loading them second.

Anyway, thx again for the quick help.

ken
----
www dot stuckonalgebra dotcom