rsync 1.7.1 stuck

Another rsync problem since the 1.7.1 upgrade (from 1.5) -- an rsync job just gets stuck a few bytes into a file. ctrl-c doesn't work, but I can kill it with pskill. If I keep running the rsync it gets a little further each time.

Here's the stranger part: if I jump a few directories in, it seems to work. For example, if I have directory /home/a/b/c/d/e/file.ext and I attempt to rsync /home/a, it gets stuck. If, instead, I rsync /home/a/b/c/d/e (to the appropriate target directory), it works fine on the same file it was getting stuck on.

Also strange is that it doesn't happen on all files, but it does consistently happen on the same file. Every time I restart the rsync job, same file get stuck. If I use the trick above (or scp instead), it then gets by the "stuck" file and works fine.

CPU usage seems high during the "stuck" time -- ssh.exe and rsync.exe being the top two processes.

I've tried running rsync at maximum verbosity, and all I see is it gets up to a point of comparing the files and then no further output.

Any troubleshooting suggestions? Not sure if this is related to the sshd rsync fork problem discussed recently on this list.