Re: Appropriate expectation on the degree of cygwin and MS interoperability

On 01/01/2010 07:06 AM, Neil.Mowbray@calgacus.com wrote:

<snip>

I suppose at its core the question is about the intent of cygwin.  Is
it (1) to provide unix like capabilities to a MS platform (in which case
one would expect/demand a high degree of interoperability), or
(2) to provide a unix like island inside a MS platform?

The problem with (2) is one cannot really stay isolated from the
host MS environment.

The goal of the project is to provide tools and an environment with a Linux look and feel. That's what's stated on the Cygwin home page. This is done in the Win32 environment (which should be a key tip-off as to Cygwin's ability to handle x64 stuff) so it is largely inter-operable with other Win32 programs. However, it seeks to provide a Linux view of things and where this conflicts with Windows, then the Linux view trumps. Path handling is a good example here.

My previous question of how/if one can use cyginw *.h *.dll *.a
artifacts in a MS compiled program is essentaily the same theme
although I have lower expectations that it is possible.

You don't want to do this, just like you really don't want to use MS *.h, *.dll, and *.lib in Cygwin compiled program (typically). Doing so breaks the "Linux view" of things.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.