Re: Incorrect year in date function.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Jacob Jacobson wrote:
> I am curious as to why this happened.
>
> I was at work yesterday and created a file. The name of the file
> is created using the Cygwin date function.
>
> REV=$(date +rev-%b-%d-%g)
> APPNAME="$1-$REV.img"

%g (and the four-digit version %G) is the year according to the ISO
week-number calendar; each such year is always a whole number of weeks
(364 or 371 days), starting on a Monday and ending on a Sunday.
Specifically, the first week is always the one containing January 4th;
as such, today is 2010W1-1, the first day of the ISO year, and
yesterday was 2009W53-7, the last day of the previous ISO year.  So
you got what you asked for, even if that wasn't what you actually
wanted. :)

If you want the CE year according to the standard Gregorian calendar,
use %y (2-digit) or %Y (4-digit).

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>