Re: Cygwin 1.7.1 install halting on Windows 7

On 01/04/2010 02:21 PM, Durwin wrote:
On 01/02/2010 12:24 PM, Durwin wrote:
I have just received an Alienware laptop with Windows7.  I downloaded
and ran the current setup from website.  The install process will stop
at various stages, not always the same place.  By stop, I mean it looks
as if it is working, but it never proceeds past that point.  I believe
it does all the install stages, but will stop at different places after
the install.

A few times the install completed.  When testing those times, I would
run bash from Windows command line (just as the .bat file does).  Once I
got some memory error I can't recall.  The rest of the times I get the
Cygwin console opening, but goes away imediately without every
displaying a prompt.  All through this, not one error message.

In this case, you want to start a Windows command prompt and run c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat from there. This will keep the command prompt window open so you can see any complaint.

I had performed this. I started cmd and cd'ed to c:\cygwin. I ran the cygwin.bat and also manually entered bash.exe --login -i as in the bat file. Under this circumstance, I get nothing. No window, no error. It simply returns a new prompt. When I run the shortcut the installation created, I do get a Cygwin window, but this is the one which disapears never showing a prompt. The shortcut is configured to run as administrator. Path was added pointing to c:\cygwin\bin.

This last install I tried, I deleted the cygwin directory as well as the
download.  I also selected a different site.  And I accepted the default
packages (I did not choose any more to install).  This install completed
without a problem, but still gives me the same problem (no cygwin
console).

OK, so my WAG here is that some needed DLL is not being installed or installed properly. Try 'c:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe'. That should give you a list of all the dependent DLLs and tell you which ones are missing. You want to reinstall the packages that provide those (see <http://cygwin.com/packages/> to find the packages) and/or check '/var/log/setup.log/full' for any related complaints. Assuming that's not the resolution, I'd recommend following up with the output of 'cygcheck -s -r -v' as requested by <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>. Please *attach* the cygcheck results, don't include them in the body of your reply. The output from cygcheck would help avoid some future WAGs, at least on my part. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746