Re: What dll is necessary to use system()-function

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:48:06PM -0800, Michael Schmid wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Started to use cygwin, it's great. Now I have a working prog and want it run
>on another computer.
>
>So I moved the exe, and all necessary dlls... But there seem to be one
>missing, because the system()-function (http://linux.die.net/man/3/system)
>doesn't work... E.g. system(cp ./file1 ./file2).
>
>Does anybody know which dll I need? Or may the problem be another one?

All of the standard libc functions like system() come from cygwin1.dll.
Your system wouldn't operate without this dll.  It is installed by
default.

>Is there any way to quickly find out which dll i need for a specific
>function to run? Simple example: I included stdio.h and used printf and want
>to know which dll I need now (this case is easy, but just if I wouldn't
>know...)

The standard functions come from cygwin1.dll.  Otherwise, you can tell
what dlls are used by your program via "ldd yourprogram".

Remember if you distribute your program outside of your immediate company
you have to adhere to Cygwin's GPL licensing.

cgf