Re: [Fwd: Blue screen when running installation *.sh]

2010/1/5 Paul Keusemann:
>> I have previously used Cygwin 1.5 successfully, but thought I should
>> report a possible issue with the newer 1.7.1 version.
>>
>> My XP workstation blue screens reliably when doing the final steps of the
>> Cygwin 1.7.1 installation somewhere in the /etc/postinstall/*.sh scripts.
>> The blue screen indicates the problem is with ibmfilter.sys and upon
> [snip]
>
> I have run into the same problem. ÂOutput of cygcheck.out is attached.

Please report this to the vendor of 'ibmfilter.sys' instead. A blue
screen indicates a kernel-level problem, whereas Cygwin works at
application level, and nothing that an application does should be able
to crash the kernel. Since the actual Windows kernel is generally
rather solid, the suspicion falls on third-party drivers, and it is
not reasonable to expect Cygwin to work around bugs in those. As Greg
points out, Google results look like 'ibmfilter.sys' is the very
definition of crapware. Try uninstalling it if possible.

Andy