Re: 1.7.1 upgrade: uid/gid issue

On 01/05/2010 11:34 AM, Chuck wrote:
After upgrading to 1.7.1 and rebuilding /etc/group and /etc/passwd, it
seems my uid and gid have changed. What I mean is all of the files in my
$HOME directory show uid=400, gid=401 but that's not what's in the
passwd and group files now. How do I fix this?

I *think* gid 401 used to be my Administators group (not 100% certain).
Now the Administrtors group uses a different gid though, and there are
many files already using that new gid.

How do I fix this mess?

Also, just because I log in to a domain, do I have to use the -d switch?
  This PC is a laptop and it's not always logged in to the domain. If I
do run mkpasswd with -d, it wants to set my home directory to some
network share.

You can specify your home path with the '-p' option.

You're not required to use '-d' but you need at least the '-c' user to get your
domain user in the file (minimally).  '-d' will give you that and more.  If your
domain is not huge (greater than a couple of thousand users), use '-d'.
Whichever flag you choose to use, use it for 'mkpasswd' and 'mkgroup'.

Because your domain user is missing from the file, your ID is the default 400.
See <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-ids>,
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd>, and
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkgroup> for more details.

Holliston, MA 01746