Re: 1.7.1: problem with public key authentication on domain accounts

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On 01/04/2010 06:18 PM, Thomas Nisbach wrote:
> > Bob Burger<burgerrg<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
> >

> >> When I try to login to my cygwin 1.7.1 system using ssh and public key
> >> authentication to my domain account, I get the error:
> >>        3 [main] sshd 3128 C:\cygwin\usr\sbin\sshd.exe: *** fatal error
> >> - could not load ws2_32, Win32 error 126
> >>
> > For me I discovered that the problem seems to be in 'cygrunsrv' wrapping.
> > If I stop the service (cygrunsrv -E sshd) and start the sshd on the command
> > line (/usr/sbin/sshd) as administrative user, anything works fine.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Are you using LSA?  Have you read the security sections of the Users Guide?
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview>
>
> > PS: I stopped Google Desktop (known as application from BLODA list), but this
> > was not the problem.
>
> BLODA is often not removed from having an effect without uninstalling the
> offending package.  I can't say whether that's a requirement for Google
> Desktop however.

I've also been seeing problems with sshd (and inetd) since upgrading to 1.7.1.
>From my investigations it does look to be something to do with launching via
cygrunsrv. If I manually start sshd then everything seems to work fine.

The one key thing that I've noticed is that some of the security privileges for
the special user used to launch sshd via cygrunsrv don't appear to be available
to sshd which I'm guessing is then causing problems with setuid.

Could it be some kind of process create/fork security privilege inheritance
problem?