Re: Cygwin and raw sockets - Windows XP with SP2 , Vista and later

On 01/06/2010 02:49 PM, Karthik Balaguru wrote:
I got the below link that conveys the problems with winpcap usage with cygwin
http://www.mail-archive.com/winpcap-users@winpcap.polito.it/msg02534.html
It seems to convey that winpcap can also easily be used with gcc using
the MinGW compile environment (www.mingw.org).

True.

It also conveys that winpcap cannot be used from within a cygwin
environment as it depends on the MSVCRT.dll which, innately conflicts
with the cygwin1.dll

There is the real potential for conflicts if you just blindly link against Winpcap and use it in some Cygwin app.

So, it can be put as below in brief -
1.For raw socket usage in a purely windows based application, winpcap
is the right choice.
WinPcap is an open source library for packet capture and network
analysis for the Win32 platforms.

I think you missed something key in your reading if you *really* need raw *socket* support above and beyond what you get from Winsock. Re-read your last sentence above again carefully.

2.For raw socket usage in a linux based application on cygwin
environment, libpcap would be the right choice

Right.

Holliston, MA 01746