Re: Weird characters in man pages

2010/1/6 Wes Barris:
> I just installed Cygwin 1.7.1 and Puttycyg 20091228. ÂWhen I viewed
> a man page I saw the letter 'a' with two dots above it instead of
> '-' characters. ÂSo, knowing that Cygwin 1.7 now used UTF-8, I changed
> my character translation set in Puttycyg to UTF-8 for my Cygwin
> session. ÂNow man pages have fat half-height vertical bars instead
> of '-' characters. ÂI don't know if this is a Putty, Puttycyg, or
> Cygwin issue. ÂI am asking here in case anyone has any insight about
> this issue. ÂThanks.

I see you also asked on the puttycyg issue tracker.

Those characters probably are Unicode hyphens (U+2010). For some
unfathomable reason that codepoint is missing from most (all?) Windows
fonts, so you get to see the font's fallback character instead,
usually some sort of box or question mark. For this reason, mintty
replaces U+2010 with a plain ol' ASCII hyphen/minus character (0x2D).

Andy