Re: rxvt and strange characters from man

Turns out the solution for me was to put the commands into .bash_profile instead of .bashrc

LANG=en_US; export LANG

"GMANE" <werfling@visionamics.com> wrote in message hi52s7$f1n$1@ger.gmane.org">news:hi52s7$f1n$1@ger.gmane.org...
I also see this behavior.

It was suggested I create a .bashrc file (echo "LANG=en_US; export LANG" >> ~/.bashrc), but this didn't work the next time I ran rxvt.

Hopefully somebody will see us and help out.

"tim richardson" <tim@tim-richardson.net> wrote in message loom.20100104T115636-584@post.gmane.org">news:loom.20100104T115636-584@post.gmane.org...
I've setup rxvt, and take the default term settings.
This is the latest cygwin as of today, Vista host.

when I do man x, I get odd characters: mis-interpreted control characters.
The default cygwin terminal works fine.

for example, if I do
man man

I get this kind of stuff (the characters à (letter a with a hat on) pops up a lot

SYNOPSIS
      man  [ÃËâacdfFhkKtwW]