Re: 1.7.1-1 noacl on samba share has incorrect directory write bit

On Jan 7 15:00, Raman Gupta wrote:
On Jan 7 13:42, Raman Gupta wrote:
In any case, note that the KB article says that attrib *can* be used
to see and modify the value -- as I demonstrated in my previous
email.

Sure. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. While you can set and reset the R/O bit on a dir, it doesn't have the *meaning* of the directory being R/O. If Cygwin reports such a directory as being read-only from the POSIX perspective, certain functions would have strange ideas and return EACCES, for instance.

In the case I am speaking of (a Samba share using the default settings), the functions *should* return EACCES, since on the server-side the directory is indeed non-writable.

I'm talking about the other case. The DOS R/O flag has nothing to do with writability of a directory in the first place. If we treat a directory as non-writable just because the DOS R/O flag is set, we're making a mistake with consequences. The consequences in the opposite case are much less problematic.

Right -- which is why I suggested gating this using a "dro/nodro" attribute so that it could be turned on by users of noacl samba mounts where it would be correct to turn it on -- I suspect noacl samba mounts are widely used and would benefit greatly from this as EACCES would be correctly returned in many situations in which it currently isn't.

Since nodro (i.e. current behavior) would remain the default, there should be no negative consequences.

Cheers,
Raman