Re: The need for cygwin

On 1/7/10, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 01/07/2010 11:31 AM, Karthik Balaguru wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am eager to know the need for cygwin if emulators like  VirtualBox,
>> Bochs IA-32 Emulator , QEMU, Vmware, Hyper-V, XenServer are able to
>> provide the linux in windows ?
>
> Huh.  Fancy that.  You're right.  There's no need for Cygwin anymore.
> Time to shut down the project.  Everybody gather up your stuff and go
> home now.  Chris, can you hit the switch for the web site?

As one who asks rhetorical questions myself, the point doesn't seem to
have hit a lot of people does it? It isn't so much the
work-with-windoze aspect as much as "why do you need a command line
thing when you have a gui?" You really should just have a one-link
answer that explains that.

If you shutdown cygwin, that would make my comments here look stupid
where I mention cygwin, and I know you guys don't want that, LOL,

http://blog.ostp.gov/2009/12/21/policy-forum-on-public-access-to-federally-funded-research-features-and-technology/comment-page-1/#comment-10873

> Sorry, I just couldn't resist. ;-)
So you've wanted to shut the project down alll along? Are you a mole
from a large commercial competitor? Will you be throwing out any
computer hardware? And I need the source to cygpath since I can't find
it on debian yet and I'm moving all my scripts over.