Re: The need for cygwin

On 01/07/2010 04:56 PM, brian wrote:
For me, Cygwin provides a nice easy linux emulation complimenting my large set of laptop windows applications, which for me is the point. For Linux, I log into a massive linux server where my production systems reside and get unlimited storage and free maintanance. I haven't even explored it, but if cygwin could provide also provide a seamless connection to my linux server like a mounted file system, that would be ideal.
Cygwin has an NFS package so I guess you can mount filesystems from Linux systems or you can run Samba on the Linux system and just mount that the Windows way.
Maybe it does already with ssl?
No I don't know of an SSL solution to mounting filesystems but you sure can ssh to your Linux systems, for example. You can also install Cygwin/X and run X apps from the Linux system to your Windows desktop.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?