Re: changing cygwin's console window title

Collin Monahan wrote:
I noticed Lynx kept changing my window title. According to the source code it was a call to SetConsoleTitle, part of the Windows API. ...
Then I created a version of the program to compile under GCC. ...
These may not be appropriate to use with an xterm window.

Indeed. I'd recommend to use the escape sequence (as used by the other responder in .bashrc) also from a program so it'll work in xterm and mintty, too.
ESC]2;title^G
In cygwin console and mintty, you can use UTF-8 text (or whatever charset your terminal runs in) in the title string of this control sequence. With xterm, non-ASCII title handling is more tricky and depends on proper configuration.

Thomas